General Fibre FAQs
- Is the price of the Fibre line included in the Afrihost Package price?
- Yes – the price you see, is the price you pay! All Fibre Packages are bundled, so the price is for both your Data and the Line rental, all‑inclusive.
- Can I use my current DSL router?
- Probably not, as Fibre works very differently to DSL. But you may, in some cases, be able to use your existing Wi‑Fi enabled router to spread your Fibre connection via Wi‑Fi. This will depend on which router you have and how the provider installs your Fibre.
- Do I need a telephone line to use Fibre?
- No! Fibre connects via optical cables that carry data via light, which are completely separate from the Telkom copper wire network.
- How is Fibre different from DSL?
DSL is dependent on Telkom copper wire infrastructure, which is often unreliable and can be slow if you have a bad line or are far away from your local exchange, whereas Fibre transmits data with pulses of light over an optical cable.
These cables are far more reliable than copper wires and can offer much greater connectivity speeds.
- Can I use your Fibre Packages for my business?
Unfortunately not. All Afrihost Fibre Packages are for residential sign-ups only. Businesses cannot sign up at this moment.
- How long will it take to get connected?
- This will depend on the turnaround for your installation and activation. Once the line has been installed in your premises it can take up to 5 days for the provider to activate your line. As soon as your Fibre line is active, you can be connected to Pure Internet Joy from Afrihost within 24 Hours.
Each provider has a different lead time for installation and activation. If your line is already activated, you’ll be connected shortly after you sign up.
- Will I have to pay a setup fee?
Sign up with Afrihost Fibre Today and you can save up to R4000 - We’ll send you a Fibre-Ready Wi-Fi Router at no cost on new installations. Terms and Conditions apply.
- Who can get Fibre?
- Our Fibre packages are available to anyone in areas that have coverage from one of our Last‑Mile Fibre Partners. Some areas have multiple providers, resulting in more choice and flexibility for you.
See which Providers are available in your area
- What if I don’t have Fibre in my area?
- If Fibre isn't available in your area yet, use the Availability Tool to give us your details and we'll let you know as soon as Fibre becomes available in your area.
Line speed and shaping
- Are your Fibre Packages shaped?
- This will depend on the package you choose. Your experience will be determined by the grade of product you select. If you want an unshaped line you can purchase one of the Priority Packages.
Alternatively, our Premium Packages are semi‑shaped and the Home Packages can be subject to throttling. But remember, shaping only affects downloads and not real time services such as browsing, gaming, youtube, streaming etc. Also, shaping only happens in situations where the network might be congested.