Afrihost Mobile FAQs
- How Does Billing Work?
- On Sign Up
When you sign up an Afrihost Mobile Month-to-Month product, you will be billed immediately for the Pro-Rated amount based on the package you have chosen. When you activate your service (even if this is a few days later), you will receive the Airtime and Data allocations based on the Pro-Rata charge incurred.
What If I activate my service in a different month to my Purchase?
If there are delays in activating your service, like for example if it takes a while to port over, and you only end up activating your afrihost services in the next month - we will apply a credit for the amount you were originally billed to your account, which will be used towards your next invoice, which will only occur when the service is activated and charged on a Pro-Rated basis also.
- How can I suspend or pause my Afrihost Mobile Package?
- There currently is no option to suspend or pause your Afrihost Mobile Package.
However, you can downgrade your package to prepaid - which means your account will no longer get billed in a recurring manner every month.
When you are ready, you can convert back to a Month-to-Month Package.
- What areas does your network cover?
- You can use our Mobile Network Coverage Map as a guideline to the areas (within the Republic of South Africa) that will be covered, and by which services.
- What happens to my Balances when I move from Afrihost Mobile Month-to-Month to Prepaid?
- Any Airtime, Data and SMSes left over will be usable in accordance with their individual applicable expiry dates.
- What happens to my Airtime, Data and SMSes when I move from my current provider to Afrihost?
- You will lose all Airtime, Data, SMS bundles as well as other credits held with your current Service Provider. Any messages you have saved on your old SIM Card (SMS, MMS & Voice) will also be lost.
- What happens to my Balances when I opt-in from MTN Prepaid to the Afrihost Service?
- You will retain any airtime you currently have with the MTN Prepaid service, along with data and sms bundles. These will expire according to their original criteria and not be influenced by the Afrihost Service offering.
- Can I use the 3G device I got from another operator to access Mobile Data?
- If the device is not network locked you should be able to use the device, provided you have ordered the correct SIM Card size from us for your device.
Porting to Afrihost
- What is Porting and how does it work?
- Mobile Number Portability allows you to move to Afrihost without losing your mobile number. Visit our Porting Information Page to find out how you can port your current number to Afrihost.
- When can I request a port transfer?
- Mondays-Fridays (Public Holidays Excluded) – 09:00-17:00
Saturdays (Public Holidays Excluded) – 09:00-13:00
Sundays – Port Requests are not processed on Sundays
- When does the port transfer happen?
- All porting happens between 22:30-23:30 on all days except Public holidays.
Should the port request be received in time on a particular day and your request is accepted, you should be able to port on the same day that the request is made.
Transfers can also be scheduled for up to 30 days from the date of the request.
- What is the cost associated to porting?
- You only have to pay for the SMS that you send requesting the port.
There are a few factors to be aware of, however. Like if you are cancelling a long‑term contract with your current Service Provider, they will charge you a cancellation fee.
- What happens to the Airtime, Data and SMSes on my current SIM Card when I port to Afrihost?
- You will lose all Airtime, Data, SMS bundles as well as other credits held with with your current Service Provider. Any messages you have saved on your old SIM Card (SMS, MMS & Voice) will also be lost.
- If I port to Afrihost, how long must I wait before I can port to another Service Provider?
- You will have to wait 60 days. The is due to regulatory practices and not Afrihost Specific.
- How does delivery work and how much does it cost?
- A Delivery Fee of R149 will apply to SIM Cards on orders where the cart value or 12-month value of the transaction is less than R1000.
Our courier will contact each client individually within 2 Business Days (upon clearance of payment). Final delivery will then be subject to client’s availability and available delivery time slots in those areas.
Deliveries take place during business hours on weekdays, weekends are excluded from all time calculations.
Delivery times stated do not include additional delays for payment clearance.
Visa/Mastercard payments are verified immediately, while a delay of up to 5 working days can be expected with Debit Orders for verification and clearing of funds (depending on the bank payment is made from).
- What if I live in a complex or apartment complex?
- This should not be a problem, but please remember to provide FULL details on your signup form, including your Unit Number, Block Number, and any other specific details to aid our courier to find you easily.
- How do I track my parcel delivery?
- You'll be able to track your delivery process in ClientZone, or you can give us a call and we'll give you an update. Please remember to use the Waybill Number to track your parcel, rather than your ClientZone username.
- Can I change or edit my delivery address or delivery time?
- Our courier will email you 24-48 hours before the scheduled delivery to confirm your address and the time they will arrive. Please reply to them as quickly as possible with any changes or amendments, so that they can factor these in accordingly.
- What RICA Documents will I need to produce when the courier arrives?
- You will need to have your original barcoded Identity Document or the foreign passport you used to sign up (including any support documents). You will also need a valid proof of residence which can be a utility or retail invoice (no older than 3 months) or a valid lease agreement (no older than 12 months). You will need to produce the original documents, as well as copies for our courier to take. The copies do not need to be certified as the courier will compare them to the originals in your presence.
VERY IMPORTANT: The person who signed up the package (and whose ID is presented) must be present to receive the package, as this is part of the RICA process.
VERY VERY IMPORTANT: For any lost documents, like IDs, we will require an affidavit and a temporary replacement.
Visit our RICA Information page for detailed information.
- Will I be charged if using International Roaming?
- International Roaming is currently only available on Afrihost Mobile Voice Packages. For now there is no way to migrate the SIMs from one platform to the other, however we are working towards being able to do this in future. We can unfortunately at this time not comment on when or if this will definitely be possible.
- How do I enable International Roaming?
- International Roaming will be enabled by default on all Afrihost-Purchased SIM Cards.
Activation and De-Activation of the service can be managed by calling the MTN Call Centre on 808.
Existing Data and SMS Bundles do not apply internationally and all transactions will be deducted from your Airtime Balance.
The rates will be the exact same as specified on the MTN Roaming Page.
You will also need to ensure that your APN (Access Point) is set to the default and not "Afrihost" when roaming.
- How does the Airtime, Data and Auto-Limits work?
- We've put together a great page which explains how our Data, Airtime and Auto-Limit allocation system work on the Afrihost Mobile Month-to-Month packages.
Data usage and topups
- How can I check my airtime and data usage?
- You can easily check your Airtime and Data usage at any time through ClientZone or via our Mobile App available on Android and iOS.
- How do I top up my airtime and data?
- 1. Log into your ClientZone or our Mobile App available on Android and iOS.
2. Select the Mobile section.
3. Navigate to the mobile package you'd like to Top up.
4. Choose the Topup Type and Amount and finalise the transaction.
- Do Topups carry over into the new month?
- Airtime Topups
Our airtime works according to standard MTN airtime rules. You get two different kinds of airtime – Evergreen and Expiring. Evergreen will stay active as long as your SIM card is kept from going dormant. Expiring airtime will expire at the date specified, unless new expiring airtime gets added to your account – in which case all the expiring airtime will only expire on the new date.
All our Auto‑Limit and Manual Topups are Evergreen. Other types of topups may however not be.
Mobile Data Topups
Yes, they do. All Data Topups purchased will expire at the end of the NEXT month. For example, if you buy a Data Topup on 5 February, your Topup Data will only expire at midnight on 31 March – giving you even more value.
- What is Afrihost’s Mobile call rate?
- The standard Afrihost Mobile call rate is 99c per minute (charged per second) to All Networks. This call rate is available as standard on Afrihost SIMs which have never switched to another call rate.
The alternative call rate (MTN Talk Free) is 99c per minute (charged per second) to Non-MTN Networks and R1.20 for the first 3 minutes to MTN numbers with up to 57 minutes thereafter free. The MTN Talk Free call rate is available on MTN SIMs which opt-in for the Afrihost service and Afrihost SIMs which have switched to a different call rate at any point.
- What are the ramifications of not being on the suggested Mobile call rate?
- This means that you’ll be paying more than you have to for calls, and we don’t want that to happen.
- How do I tell if I’m not on the suggested Mobile call rate?
- You can log on to your ClientZone and select the Mobile tab to check the status of your number. If you are not on the suggested call rate there will be a notification on this page. If you don’t see a notification you’re good.
- How do I switch to the MTN Talk Free call rate?
- Simply dial *141*4*3# from your device and follow the steps.
If you change your mind in the future, no worries! You can change your call rate at any time by dialling *141*4# from your device.