Afrihost Mobile Access Point FAQs
- Can I use Afrihost Mobile Data on a SIM that already uses Axxess Mobile Data?
- Unfortunately not, Axxess and Afrihost use the same system, which means that only one can be provisioned to a SIM at a time. If you want to use Afrihost Mobile Data you will first have to de-provision your Axxess APN.
- Once I’ve signed up, how long will it take for me to access my data?
- It can take up to 72 hours for your SIM to be provisioned, but we will alert you when this has been completed by SMS or in your ClientZone.
- Is Afrihost data LTE ready?
- Our network is LTE ready, but our SIMs and APN accounts are not LTE activated by default. You will need to contact our support team via email, telephone, Live Chat or SMS to activate LTE on either your MTN or Afrihost SIM.
Please do note that your SIM must be LTE capable, as well as your device, and you will need to be in an area with LTE coverage to receive LTE service.
LTE activation can take up to 72 hours.
- What is APN Access and how does it work?
- Our APN (Access Point) is what determines that you are using Afrihost Mobile Data, and not data directly from MTN. Any device using an Afrihost SIM card (for example, our MiFis) must be set to the Afrihost APN in order to use our data. If you are using an Afrihost SIM in another mobile device (such as an iPad) you will need to set the device to use our APN.
- Can I also use the Afrihost APN on an existing SIM?
- Yes, if you're on the MTN network, you can access our APN. Simply signup for one of our Mobile Data APN products on our order form, choose the "Existing MTN SIM Card' option and fill in your MTN phone number.
- How do I know if APN access is active?
- We will send you confirmation as soon as your APN access has been activated. You can then change the APN setting on your phone to 'afrihost' and you can start using your MTN SIM to access our data. Please do not do so before confirmation, as your device may default to your mobile provider's APN and result in unwanted charges.
You can also track the progress of your APN Access Activation in ClientZone.
- Can using Afrihost’s APN result in charges from my mobile provider?
- If you are using the APN correctly, then there should be no additional charges from another provider. Please make sure that your APN setting has no spaces at either the front or the back and is set to 'afrihost'. Please note that devices may differ in how their operating systems handle APN access. Make sure that you check your device settings that it does not default to another APN setting. Certain actions, such as tethering your device as a wireless hotspot, can sometime result in defaulted APN settings.
- Can I access your APN from any mobile network?
- You can only make use of Afrihost mobile data via your APN if you make use of the MTN network.
- Can I access the APN on my MTN SIM using my Afrihost Mobile Data Product that was signed up with an Afrihost SIM?
- No, APN Access from an MTN SIM is a separate product, as data is specific to a SIM and number. Once we have provision data to an Afrihost SIM (which has a number, though you cannot call or SMS), that data will only be available when access by that number via the APN. If you already have an Afrihost SIM, you will need to sign up an new data product with your MTN number to use the APN from that number.
Sign up will require that you specifically indicate whether you will be using an Afrihost SIM or your MTN SIM to access your Mobile Data.
- Can I use the APN service if I am an MTN subscriber through a reseller?
- As long as you are on the MTN network, regardless of your reseller arrangement, you can make use of Afrihost Mobile Data.
- My MMS is not working on my MTN Contract SIM after I changed to the Afrihost APN settings. What should I do?
- Edit your newly created Afrihost APN settings. Enter default,hipri into the APN Type field. Tap on the more button and select Save.
Data usage and topups
- What will happen when I run out of data?
- You will be "capped" when your data runs out, and you will need to either top up your data, or wait until your data allocation is renewed on the 1st of the month. Please check your device settings. If your device is set to default to another APN, you may need to ensure that it does not do so to avoid unnecessary charges.
- Will my unused Mobile Data rollover into the new month?
- No, like our DSL bandwidth, your unused standard monthly Mobile Data will expire at the end of the month, and new data will be allocated on the 1st of the new month.
Please note, however, that Mobile Data Topups will only expire at the end of the NEXT month. For example, if you buy a data topup on 5 February, your topup data will only expire at midnight on 31 March - giving you even more value.